This is just my personal list of things I wish I had known before starting our cloth diaper journey. Everyone's list will vary...
1. Despite what you think now, cloth diapering is really, really easy! - They really are just like disposables - just a lot more fun!
2. Cloth wipes are the way to go! - I still can't believe we waited as long as we did to make this switch (about a year of cloth diapering with disposable wipes!) It made so much sense and we wondered why we spent all that time trying to get poo-covered wipes into the diaper champ without it clogging...over and over...
3. The love that I would end up having for cloth - I'm not sure if it's the dollar signs, the environmental impact or the ingredients inside a disposable (probably all the above), but my stomach turns at the thought of having to use one on my sweet boys' bottoms.
4. How much money we really would save - I saw the numbers on all sorts of websites telling me how much we would potentially save, but actually seeing that money in our account has been amazing.
5. How the wash routine would naturally fit into our lives - I anticipated loads of laundry to consume my life, but it's just one load every couple of days and it does anything but interrupt our lives! I also expected to spend hours slaving away over diapers, but when you think about it, the washer does all the dirty work, then hang to dry, or toss in the dryer, then stuff - so easy!
6. How accepting our family would be - We have great family, and instead of laughter and criticism, we got offers to help purchase what we needed.
7. How fun it would be when friends would announce their switch to cloth - I love when a friend calls me up and asks for advice as they make the switch to cloth! I feel that I, too, get more educated as they ask more and more questions.
8. How my hubby would join right in! - Well, that's misleading! It was his idea to make the switch, so it's a very good thing he joined in!
9. We never thought we would be using coconut oil on our boys' bottoms! - Coconut oil has been our go-to diaper cream - it's very effective and cloth diaper safe, not to mention, yummy smelling!
10. That our children would come to know cloth as a way of life - It is SO great to see our children playing with their stuffed animals and using itty bitty cloth diapers and scraps of cloth as wipes. Hopefully, one day, our boys will come to us with the news that they will be cloth diapering their own children!
What do you wish you had known?