Our first Monday Mommy is Laureen B., Mommy of three!
1. Tell us a little about yourself, where you are located, how many kids you have, little ones in cloth, etc.
- First off I am a high school Family & consumer science teacher (Home EC) turned stay at home mom. I have been married to my high school sweetheart since 2001(We graduated in 1994 in case you were wondering). We have 3 fantastic boys, Gabriel and Reese, the twins, are 2 ½ . Little Brother Nico is 5 months old. We live in Las Vegas, Nevada but are native San Diegans(CA). We have lived here 5 years. Nico is a cloth diaper baby full time and the twins are part time CD babies for now.
- I also have a new blog called The Momccupation @ www.momccupation.com which is a mommy blog with all sorts of new stuff an giveaways coming soon!
- I was really excited to try cloth diapers with Nico. The initial expense scared us away with the twins at first but, I decided to give it a try with Nico. I saw an awesome deal on babysteals.com for Gro-baby diapers and so I jumped in without reservations.
3. What did your family and friends think when you told them you were going to use cloth? What did they think when they seen the new modern diapers available?
- The family thought I was a little crazy at first when I said we were going to cloth. I think they thought it was a lot of work, messy and not very easy. When I showed them the diapers and how easy they were they were so impressed. My mom couldn’t believe how easy they were, especially since she used cloth 30 years ago with me and my younger sister. My sister can’t wait till she has kids and can use some of my stash and start her own.
4. What was your very first cloth diaper? Do you still use it?
- Our first cloth diaper was a Gro-baby AI2. We still use the Gro-baby diapers all the time. I love them. We use them as a reusable swim diaper as well.
5. What type of diapers does your stash primarily consist of; pockets, aio, one size, pre-folds, flats, hybrids, etc.? Which ones do you prefer to use? The first one you grab?
- My stash mostly consists of Gro-baby AI2 one size, Fuzzibunz, Rainforest babies, WHAMYs n CuteyBaby. I love the pocket diapers for night. I have fuzzibunz which I primarily use at night, they are really absorbent. I like the AI2 –Gro-baby diapers because you can reused the shell more than once, which saves on laundry. I have some hemp pre-folds I use for the big boys because they are heavy wetter’s! Note to self: need to buy more hemp and try bamboo. I am newer to cloth diapers and can’t wait to try out more. I am totally addicted to it!
6. Do you have a favorite place to hang out and talk or learn about cloth ; a blog, message board, facebook page, etc.?
- I love Diaperswappers.com, lots of the CD blogs and Facebook pages. MY favorite FB page is Cloth diaper Addiction and baby steals, baby half off… too many great deal sites and pages to list here!
7. What cloth diapering item, besides diapers, do you consider to be a must-have accessory?
- I think the diaper sprayer is a must have. I didn’t get anything fancy. Just one they have at Home Depot called the Mrs. Bidet, lol. It works so good, I can’t do without one. I will never dunk and swish again!!!
- I don’t have anything too special yet. I like to do a prewash in my washer with detergent, then wash with distilled vinegar with a extra rinse cycle in hot. I love the fact that I can set my diapers and inserts in the sun and the stains come out!!! Love it!!
9. If you could share just one tip with someone who is just starting out with cloth or considering using cloth, what would be your best piece of advice to them?
- Just try for a few days and you will be hooked. It is so easy now and if you give it a good try you will be amazed at how much you will save in the long run. Plus almost no diaper rash, got to love that!